Thursday, August 23, 2012

Winthrop, WA to Tonasket, WA

"Did you make that bike?"
No.  It's made by a company in Kansas.

"How does it climb?"
Slowly.

"Is it comfortable?"
Yes, very.

"Don't you ever worry about anyone robbing you?"
No.

"Why are you doing this?"
No single reason.  It's relaxing, good exercise, and I get to see the American West.  It's a challenge.


View Larger Map

Another day, another pass.  Today was Loup Loup Pass, which started down in the barren valley but went up into the forest.  It was a long climb but not as tough as Washington Pass in North Cascades.  Enough to keep you honest, though.  It's a nice road with little traffic.  The descent was excellent, except for a sucker climb at the end.  The second half of the day was spent on a rather busy road from Omak to Tonasket.  The shoulder was very wide, which made it more pleasant.  It was hot (low 90s) but not terrible.  Staying well-hydrated is the key.  Pushing this bike up a hill requires some energy.

I mailed the GPS to Sascha (I hope that's OK, Mark).  I feel much freer now.  It's like switching to boxers.  Watching the speed and distance just reminds me of how slow I'm going, and my next turn is in Idaho.

Tomorrow there is a ghost town with a post office.  I am stopping there to receive a spare tire I ordered.


Coming down Loup Loup Pass












2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
Lots of mountain passes in Washington makes you a strong climber. It appears to me that you are putting some miles behind you.

Unknown said...

Hi there,
The video was great! Was that max speed? The food choices looked delicous today.
The word on the street about the Pro Cycle Challenge was the racers coming down Independence Pass into Aspen was clocked 60+mph into a headwind! Crazy bikers!