Monday, May 16, 2016

Arizona - Chapter 7 - Sedona

Sedona, as everyone knows, is a real new age center.  It's full of shops selling crystals and vortex tours and palm readings and whatnot.  The landscape there is indeed inspiring.  I felt the town was a little sprawly, without a real center where one could walk around.  But there are abundant hiking/biking trails, so I explored these for a couple of days. 
The first day I took a trail up over a ridge toward the south of town, which led eventually to Cathedral Rock.  There was a creek crossing and I felt pretty cool holding my bike over my head as I waded through the water with many onlookers observing.  They were probably hoping I would fall in the water and cause some excitement, but I managed not to slip. 
The trail went south and climbed up onto some slickrock (not actually slick at all, but very sticky -- great traction).  Here the trail was shared with quite a few pedestrians toting cameras and children.  Trying to be as courteous as possible, I slowed to a walking pace when I encountered anyone.  I was dismayed when a group of five mountain bikers came roaring through the trail and almost hit me, shouting "coming through!!".  I am assuming they scared more hikers along the trail.  It's a bummer, because poor etiquette makes all bikers look bad. 
The second day I ride some more trail, this time in the less crowded northwest part of town.  It was really beautiful and peaceful.  I met a guy named Pat who had driven out from LA and we rode together for awhile.  He is a mechanical engineer and was just out for the weekend with his truck and his mountain bike.  Nice fellow. 
Sedona denizens talking about wheatgrass and bee pollen

Pat, my riding partner for the Chuckwagon trail



Friendly help at Over the Edge Cycles

Questionable Sedona yard art

No comments: