Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Jackson, WY - Dubois, WY

This was one of those days when I wasn't feeling it.  I was tired from the get-go and wasn't looking forward to climbing from Jackson (elev. 6247 feet) over Togwatee Pass (elev. 9584 feet). But a howling tailwind and a wide, smooth road made the trek more bearable and I made it 86 miles to Dubois (DEW-boyz), which was the longest ride of the trip so far.

The light was gloomy all day with the clouds and the smoke, and the wind was chilly.  So I sweated inside my wind jacket and froze when I took it off.  If I got off the bike and stood up, streams of sweat poured out of the jacket cuffs.  I took a few pictures because I felt I ought to, but I wasn't paying too much attention to anything.  The scenery was nice of course, but I found myself on autopilot.  I cranked away listening to Led Zeppelin.  My mind was detached from my body and my legs knew what to do.

At one point on the pass, there was a pilot car leading traffic through road construction.  They didn't want me to ride my bike through the narrow gravel path with traffic, so I had to throw my bike in the back of a truck.  It's kind of nice to be hauled a few miles up the pass, but it's also a pain because I have to take all of my panniers off in a hurry.  The pickup took me about five miles and then I had to get my bike out and reassemble everything.  While I was parked on an embankment struggling to put my panniers on, my kickstand sheared off and the bike, the bags, and myself all started sliding down the hill.  One of the road workers came to help me and finally I got it sorted out.  All of this happened in front of a long line of parked cars waiting to go through the construction, so I put on a good show for everyone.  Not my smoothest moment.

From the top of the pass it was 30 miles downhill into Dubois, where I cruised into the KOA.  I said hello to my neighbors David and his son Garrett, from Missouri.  Before I could refuse I was given a plate of brats and potatoes.  We talked into the evening until our toes got cold.  The kindness of strangers can be unbelievable.

Tomorrow is 75 miles to Lander.  Then 126 miles across the big empty to Rawlins.  Might be able to make that push if I get after it early.  Apparently there is an abandoned uranium mining town halfway called Jeffrey City where bicyclists sometimes sleep, but it sounds like a place I'd rather avoid.


View Larger Map


Just took this photo to show what a tailwind I had.



Up on Togwatee Pass



Finally



Coming down the pass, some cool rock stuff



Things looking a little drier out east



Largest in the world!



Camp at the Dubois KOA.  Notice the trees in the wind.



Garrett playing a tune.  It was the most pleasant sound I heard all day.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
WOW 86 miles! Excellent job Ray! Go tail wind! There was definitely a strong breeze along your ride. Sometimes when the energy is low, our performance is at it's best. Did you see the World's Largest Jackalope exhibit? Funny!
The warm meal from your neighbors was a bonus, along with soothing guitar music. It is important to keep your caloire intake up with somewhat healthy food to help generate energy at this point. The sweating, wind, long miles, smoke, lack of sleep, etc, is requiring extra energy.
Interesting bivouac you have rigged. Thank goodness for picnic tables!
Onward "Rocket Ray"! Hopefully the tail wind will be with you today!
Have a great ride!